Friday, October 2, 2009

Action Required for Children's Health

Because I know that what I believe means nothing if I don't act on it, I am going to have to take action. Childhood diabetes is a serious problem and the lunch menu at my local public school is not helping! I'm not kidding, hotdogs (or some version thereof) are a weekly menu item, along with canned vegetables and things like nachos. Is anybody counting the sodium on this menu? To give them some credit, salad and vege sticks do appear a handful of times through the month. But I have to wonder what's in the dip and dressing.
The sad part is that is doesn't have to be this way and the children who are on free/reduced lunches need healthy foods the most because they probably don't get those at home. Those of us who can afford are likely the ones sending cold lunches of a healthier variety. A nearby Montessori school was featured in the newspaper last year and applauded for the healthy meals the cook prepares for a large number of children. Healthy, delicious foods can, and should, be available for ALL children at every school. I guess I'll start by initiating a conversation with the head cook at the public school. If you have a belief that requires your action, don't put it off. Your words are empty without actions. Be well, children!