Thursday, October 8, 2009

Healthy Foods for Your Family

I have been lying to my children. For quite a while now I have fed them almond butter and called it "peanut butter." I feed them all fruit spread and call it "jelly." "Would you like an almond butter and fruit spread sandwich?" It just didn't fit. Peanut butter and jelly is what kids are supposed to eat, right? I do it with all sorts of things: milk in our house is actually almond milk, hot dogs are those delicious Aidell's natural sausage with something like spinach and cheese. I love putting shredded zucchini and/or carrots in the spaghetti sauce and I have tried to pass off zucchini pancakes as "pancakes." That one they caught on to, but found that they like them!!

What does all this mean? Well, it's about using our creativity to get our kids to eat something healthy, or at least something healthier than what they think they are having. If you need to get your kids to eat healthier, here are a few tips:
- Look at labels and get rid of things with corn syrup, also called high fructose corn syrup, in them. It's everywhere!! I limit it as much as possible.
- Begin by replacing things they like with healthier versions of the same.
- Hide healthy foods inside things like sauces or breads. And I may call a "bread" a "cake." (Oh, I also developed a very healthy cookie recipe I'll post later.)
- If sugar is a problem, begin using fruits as dessert sometimes. Also look at natural and/or low-glycemic sweeteners. Stevia is an herb with 0 calories used to sweeten foods, now being marketed as Truvia (which you may find in liquid and powder forms for less money in natural food markets.) Other natural sweeteners include honey, pure maple syrup, brown rice syrup and agave nectar.
- Finally, incorporate whole foods as much as possible. Limit processed foods. Everyone has to figure out how much they can do because it does take time to cook from scratch! So allow for times when you have to break the rules.

There are lots more things you can do, but hopefully this list will give you a start or some ideas. Be well!